gravity release me

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Body

Stelarc was a really interesting person to watch, I liked how the movie Avatar was blended into this style of cyborg technology. It is a pretty neat concept of making the human body into some machine that is controlled by the body yet many times more powerful. By “expanding the operational capabilities of the body through means of technology” a whole new way of conceptualizing what the body can do is changed.

I went on to VBS.com and explored this site a little. I watched the short movie “Balls Deep” it was about the “Sewer Kids” of Colombia and it showed the horrible conditions these people were basically forced to survive under.

Bob Flanagan was funny! So odd, but his story is depressing. I really liked listening to Throbbing Gristle.

This class was really interesting for me because I always am thinking of the different uses of the human body. Viewing the human body, as a tool is something we all do, yet usually we think in the confines of societal norms. Most of these individuals use the body as a tool for many different uses than just what our culture defines as proper.

No comments:

Post a Comment