gravity release me

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Grid Art




Here are a few pictures from my grid art project. I wasn’t able to show how it would look in a dark room with a light shining through the punctured paper, yet I think everyone understood the idea.

“L.H.O.O.Q.” is an assisted readymade art piece by Marcel Duchamp. Here we see the famous Mona Lisa with a very humorous twist- a moustache and beard! How interesting that this became a legitimate art piece, simply by changing and declaring it as so in a gallery. Here we see how important the understanding of language is while appreciating humor. “L.H.O.O.Q.” is the title, when phonetically pronounced in French it sounds like “ her ass is on fire.” Of course if you did not understand French you may not understand this at all!

This humor can be traced to the Dada movement as a way of breaking apart the long line of traditional art. Duchamp was making fun of what was sacred and attempting to expand our perspective. This made people think differently about what is art, what are the possibilities of art, and how we as the viewer can change art.

“Un Chien Andalou” was a silent film that was very important, it was a film created by two surrealists: Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali. This was a very bizarre film; I was pretty grossed out after the woman’s eye was sliced open. I thought the skull on the moth was really cool. This short film reminded me of a very bizarre dream, where nothing quite makes sense when you think about it later.

11 comments:

  1. i loved how you incorporated lights into your work!!! that was very original and different. i also like how you used transparent tissue paper. awesome job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I like how your grid art was different from everyone's. Great idea. I just wish that we could have seen it with the light. Thanks for posting a picture with the light on. It looks great. I hope your turtle wasn't too upset!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad we get to see your work with the light through it...it looks amazing! I really like how the sun is still the brightest part with the lights on. I thought that you painted this at first when I saw it, so I was amazed you used tissue paper--that must have taken forever. This is an amazing project! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love the effect of the back light on this piece. The mood is completely changed. Even without the incorporation of the light, the piece is highly imaginative. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. making a light-bright thing was an amazing idea! very original, and the finished product looked really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lied! It looks really good with the light too. The colors of tissue paper were very bright and fun and definitely make your project look good. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your idea, it really reminded me of a light bright from back in the 80s! Im not sure how long it took to put all of the paper together but it looked amazing with the light behind it! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your light bright made out of a cardboard box was great. The colors used with the tissue paper added to it and you could imagine what it would look like even though the light was working.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is a super creative and fun idea. I love the concept and think it would be so cool to see it lit up and in action. I also hope your turtles are warm again with their heat lamp back

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool idea and execution. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all it's really cool how your project lights up I think thats a great idea and I remember when my little cousin had one of those "Lite Brite" things. Second of all I really liked the design you used, the sunset beach scene was really nice and the colors go from dark on top to bright on the bottom which looks very pretty

    ReplyDelete